In Jordanhill Parish Church, we are fortunate in having had Alan Tavener as Director of Music since his arrival in Scotland in 1980. A former organ scholar at Brasenose College in Oxford, Alan was appointed as the first ever Director of Music at the University of Strathclyde. In 1982, along with his wife Rebecca, he co-founded Cappella Nova, which now enjoys an international reputation as a leading chamber choir specialising in historic and contemporary Scottish music. In addition to working with professional musicians, Alan has gained a reputation for helping the amateurs to achieve far more than they dreamt possible – and all with good humour!
The organ in the Church is just over 100 years old and is recognised by many as a good example of the work of T.C. Lewis, whose work also includes the organ in the Kelvingrove Art Gallery. Initially built for a large house outside Helensburgh, it was installed in Jordanhill Parish Church in 1923. A CD of the organ, played by Alan Tavener, is available from the Church Office (£10).